COVID-19 Update Friday 8 May 2020
THE SCHOOL REMAINS CLOSED
The school continues to provide a childcare service to those parents and carers who are key worker and those students who are most vulnerable students. That said, our message remains clear, those children who are able to remain at home, must stay at home.
Our seventh week of school closure draws to an end. This would have been the week 4 of our Summer term.
‘Let love and faithfulness never leave you; bind them around your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart.’
We have so many replies to the challenges email this week it has been my real pleasure to put together a gallery presentation of the amazing work being done by pupils, ably supported and encouraged by parents and carers. Take a look here....
Well done one and all. Keep your replies coming in both to your class teachers as well as the challenges email.
If you are worried about any member of our school community, please either visit https://swgfl.org.uk/whisper/twf1 or send a text message (anonymously) to 07860 021 323 starting your message with TWF1. This facility can be used by students, parents, carers and other family members.
If you are worried that someone is in immediate risk of significant harm, please do not use this reporting facility, but dial 999 immediately.
Accessing student work online
The following guidance for accessing work set by teachers remains the same:
All pupils should be using their Office365 account and have received an email with a link to their own work folder from which to access all subjects. If your child is struggling to access their Office 365 account or specific subject material there are two avenues of support:
- help in accessing the Office365 account is available her: https://thekings.staffs.sch.uk/online-learning/;
- Year 10 pupils should be logging into their school email to check out direct communications from their class teachers.
For technical issues, parents and carers are asked to email their request to our IT team at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Recommended online platforms:
- MyMaths (school subscription)
- SAMLearning (school subscription)
- GCSEPOD (school subscription)
- Musicfirst https://thekings.musicfirst.co.uk (school subscription)
Again if there are any issues accessing platforms where we have a school subscription (e.g. forgotten login names/ passwords) contact our IT support team.
The following are currently free platforms and recommended for use
- Is your child keeping a routine which includes school work ?
- Has your child replied to the chapter leaders email?
- If your child is in year 10 are they checking their school email daily for communications and work set by their class teachers?
- Is your child reading? Two audible books were recommended last week!
- If your child has taken ART they should be in close touch with their art teacher for developing their coursework portfolio
- MORGAN SINDALL Construction are offering a virtual work experience over the course of a week working alongside industry experts.
- SUMMER INTERNSHIPS with some top flight careers and they include the opportunity of 1-2-1 career coaching.
Challenge 1: Pain, puss and poison
My first challenge this week is similar to last week. There has been a documentary programme on BB4 this week called ‘Pain, puss and poison’. The challenge I am setting you is to watch the programme and then to present a summary of the key facts/ information shared in the programme. You can present this in whatever way you see fit. All entries will be potential winners of a £40 Amazon voucher. The school governors will decide the winner from all the entries submitted.
Challenge 2: How many triangles
Check out my facebook post / video blog for this challenge.
Challenge3: Which Movie ?
Check out the movie emojis created by three members of staff in this presentation and tell us which movies they have been watching.
We hope as many students, parents and carers as possible take up these challenges. We would love to hear and see you success stories. We’ve set up a dedicated email address so you can do just that - email@example.com. We will share some of your replies at our next Friday update.
Home Schooling Challenges – Years 7- 9 - Week 7
We have updated the home school challenges for next week. They are there to supplement material posted on the school sharepoint and for all the family to get involved in.
If you complete any of these challenges then send your responses to you class teachers. We will include some of the best ones in next Friday’s news round up.