Links With Local Schools
Links with local primary schools
We work closely with local primary schools so that children from KS2 and KS1 are able to use the specialist equipment and facilities here at The King's. For many years, local primary school children have attended several transition days at our school.
Over the past few years we have hosted a number of events and have established some regular initiatives:
- During Science Week, Year 5 students from a local primary school came to The King's to use the science labs during Science Week, and KS1 children from a local primary school were taught by our science teachers in their own school;
- Year 10 students from The King's visited a local primary school to help Year 6 to run a French café for parents in their school hall;
- We provided science sessions for Year 5 students from local feeder schools to experience "hands-on" science with specialist scientists;
- We hosted a language day for students from a local primary school;
- Visits by Year 4, 5 and 6 students from several local schools;
- We held familiarisation sessions with feeder school teachers so that they understood more about life at The King's;
- One of our PE staff visits one of our Church feeder schools to deliver PE lessons on a weekly basis
- Headteachers from Kidsgrove primary schools regularly meet with senior staff in order to discuss transition arrangements;
- The Kidsgrove Primary District Inclusion Panel is hosted at The King's. This is part of a wider transition and inclusion initiative across the local authority, which was pioneered in Kidsgrove;
- One of the local primary schools uses "The King's Student Planners" in Year 6 in order to better prepare their students for the transition period;
- We have run a summer school for "Year 6 into Year 7" students in August since 2012.