translate drop-down-arrow address frog facebook arrow-right-swiper phone arrow-left-swiper scroll-down scroll-up right-arrow-link twitter search email instagram
Nightingale Academy

Learning with truth and love

Interactive Bar


Learning with truth and love

Business Studies


Business staff aim to provide a stimulating and informative experience for students taking the subject at KS4 and KS5. It is a challenging subject which is applied to current activities in the UK and International business environment. Students are encouraged to use the topic area to develop their independent learning skills.


Key Stage 4: Years 10 and 11


At Key Stage 4 students follow the OCR Business Studies or AQA Business and Communication Systems GCSE examination.


For both subjects, students need to complete units of controlled assessment, the topics of which change annually.


There are strict guidelines for the completion of the controlled assessment as it is an integral part of the course. It is worth 25% of the final grade. The remaining 75% is assessed at the end of Y11 by 2 externally set examinations.


We aim for all students to at least attain if not exceed their target grade. Staff closely monitor the progress of students thoroughly and regularly so that they can be supported where necessary. To this end, homework is set and assessed weekly.


Key Stage 5: Years 12 and 13


At Key Stage 5 students follow the Level 3 BTEC course:


BTEC Level 3 Certificate in Business Studies (equivalent to AS Level)


During BTEC Level 3 the student will complete a number of individual assignments which are graded to complete 3 compulsory Units. The units are Human and Physical Resources, Introduction to Marketing and The Business Environment. On completion of all 3 units students will be awarded an overall grade (Pass, Merit or Distinction). Students may choose to ‘cash in’ these points to achieve their BTEC Level 3 Certificate. Alternatively students may choose to continue onto BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma.


BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma in Business Studies (equivalent to A2 level)


The BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma year follows a similar structure to the BTEC Level 3 Certificate however, there is only one compulsory unit: Business Communications. Students also complete 2 optional subjects which are chosen by them. Individual assignments are graded and at the end of the 3 units all their work (6 units) is reviewed and awarded an overall grade (Pass, Merit or Distinction) for their BTEC Subsidiary Diploma.


There are no examinations for these courses.


Extra Curricular


Extra-curricular provision includes GCSE revision sessions, coursework catch-up sessions as well as a homework club.


To encourage students to develop wider business skills and interests, we also deliver activities within the whole-school enterprise education programme.

Get In Touch

Information Block